TYPE: Adventure tour
DURATION OF THE TOUR: 2 days
PRICE PP: 75 $
START POINT: Batumi
WALKING DISTANCE: 15 km, medium complexity
You have a great opportunity to discover Mtirala National Park.Located at 1.381 m above sea level, it is the rainiest territory in Georgia, hence the name “mtirala” meaning “weeping”. High humidity, frequent rains and fog make the landscape of Mtirala National Park very special. The park remains a protected site for Colchis flora and fauna including rare and endangered endemic and relict species: Pontic oak (Quercus pontica), Medvedev birch (Betula medwedewii), Rhododendron (Rhododendron ungernii), epigea (Epigaea gaultheriodes), Colchis box-tree (Buxus colchica), Colchis bladdernut (Staphylea colchica), yew (Taxus baccata), common chestnut (Castanea sativa), Colchis nut (Corylus colchica), and walnut tree (Juglans regia) are included into the Red List of Georgia. The fauna of the Mtirala National Park is represented by 95 species. 23 animal species are included into the Red List of Georgia: lynx, brown bear, Caucasian squirrel, Caucasian salamander, Caucasian adder and the butterflies - Apollo and Caucasian festoon. Among the relatively bigger fowl there are small eagles, kites, hawks, etc.
DURING THE EXCURSION YOU WILL VISIT:
- This two-day trip starts at the visitor center 260 meters above sea level and ends at 1,250 meters above sea level.
- Colchic broad-leaved mixed forest types characterize the beginning of the trip and by the end 70% of forests are beech trees.
- Besides vegetation, visitors can find the tracks of creatures such as brown bears, roe deer, martens, the European Badger, Chamois and many other animals.
- The route runs near natural springs, where there is a picnic area, restrooms, a tourist shelter that can accommodate 8 people and a designated fire pit.
- On the second day of the tour, the trail runs along untouched beech groves, where visitors can also use springs and picnic spots that are located nearby. The route can be used for scientific observations of both flora and fauna, as the section has forests that are not allowed to be touched or altered in any way.
- Overnight in tourist shelter (max 8 pax) or in tents.
If you wish to pass this route with a horse, it can be organized.
- Best period: from 1st May to 1st November
- Wear sports
- Do not forget change of clothes
- A flashlight will be useful
- Take a sufficient amount of water
- Spray for insects and sun protection, trekking poles will be useful
- Appropriate physical training
THE TOUR PRICE INCLUDES:
✔ Qualified guide-instructor
✔ Overnight in tourist shelter or in tents (sleeping bag, foam and tent are included in price)
WE FULLY ORGANIZE FOR YOU UNFORGETTABLE, FULL OF EMOTIONS AND ADVENTURES TOUR, AND FROM YOU WE REQUEST:
- Good mood
- Free time
- Distribution of information