TYPE: Wine tours
DURATION OF THE TOUR: 1 day
PRICE PP: 45 $
START POINT: Batumi
Since the ancient times Georgia is considered to be one of the birthplace of viticulture and the origin of grapevine. Without exaggeration, we can say that the vine and human were born in the land of Georgia at the same time. In Georgia, wine and vine are idealized; they are presented in architecture, folklore, poetry and culinary culture. Fertile land of Georgia, burning sun, the mild climate and restless, purposeful work preserved us 450 native grape varieties. The most famous from them are Rkatsiteli, Saperavi, Mtsvani (or Mtsvane), Alexandrouli, Tsolikauri, Tetra, Mujuretuli, Ojaleshi,Usakhelauri, Tavkveri ,Asuretuli, etc. The motherland to most of them is the fertile region Kakheti.
DURING THE ROUTE YOU WILL SEE:
- Kvelatsminda Church (Church of all Saints) - This 8th century church is a unique in the way that it is the only two-domed temple in Georgia. One of the multiple traditions relates that as one of the miracles by Virgin Mary, the cathedral had milk overflowing from its walls. This is why it was frequently visited by nursing and dried up mothers. The pilgrims usually returned home cured.
- Tsinandali - famous center of viniculture of Kakheti, where patrimony of Chavchavadze dukes is located. English-style Park was laid out by duke Chavchavadze. Here Alexander Chavchavadze built wine cellars in 1886, which led to building of the oldest wine factory in Georgia. Wine factory still produces rare varieties of wine and it is open for tourists. You can also look at wine cellars, where 16 thousand bottles of the end of XIX century and beginning of XX century are stored. Interior, furniture and private belongings of dukes are well preserved.
- Alaverdi - a gorgeous cathedral of St. George and monastery complex, which were founded by the Assyrian monk Joseph Alaverdeli, one of the Thirteen Assyrian Fathers. He initiated ascetic movement in Georgia and was buried here later.
- New Shuamta Monastery (XVI c.) - meaning "among the mountains". It includes a large temple, bell tower, fence. According to legend, the monastery was built by Tina, Queen of Kakheti. As a child she had a dream that she will build an Orthodox church and saw a place. Later, she built monastery on the same place, in this monastery Queen Tina took monastic vows.
THE TOUR PRICE INCLUDES:
✔ Qualified guide
✔ Wine tasting
✔ Entrance tickets
WE FULLY ORGANIZE FOR YOU UNFORGETTABLE, FULL OF EMOTIONS AND ADVENTURES TOUR, AND FROM YOU WE REQUEST:
- Good mood
- Free time
- Distribution of information